Tuesday 8 November 2011

Let me introduce you to an "incredible" gardener

When David read the previous post, he was very anxious to know who I'd be putting in the nice category.  And of course he guessed at my first choice.  I am honoured to introduce to you Wendy Woodworth, Head Horticulturalist at Spadina Museum Gardens.

Spadina Museum is a historic house which has 6 acres of gardens which are kept as historically accurate as possible. I'm not much into history, so if you are interested in finding out more about it you can visit here:
http://www.toronto.ca/culture/museums/spadina-history.htm

The gardens at Spadina (pronounced spa-dee-na rather than spa-dine-a) are what interest me.  The gardens were orginally designed in 1818, and in 1987 the Garden Club of Toronto funded the restoration of the garden.  Wendy was present from the beginning. 

Here's Wendy herself taking us on a little tour of the vegetable garden.



(Spot the typo in the video!  Pianese?  I think they mean Peonies. Obviously not gardeners!)

This little video doesn't really do the garden justice. It focuses on the Parterre portion of the garden where the vegetables and soft fruits are hidden behind a border of flowers.  It appears that it was filmed in early June when the Hesperis matronalis (or Dame Rocket) dominates the garden. And there's so much more than Hesperis to see.  Take a look at the garden in late July.



The garden also has an orchard with many heritage fruit trees, including apple, plum, and peach, a row of old varietal grapes (similar to the concords) as well as a sweeping lawn and lots of beautiful mature trees (some over 200 years old). There is a wonderful old coach house (the chauffeurs quarters now house the offices and the garage portion is filled to overflowing with plants) and a magnificent greenhouse.  There is also something called the Battery, which is a brick promontory built around 1860 which juts out over the escarpment and offers a magnificent view of Toronto


I have volunteer gardened at Spadina off and on (though  more off than on these days) since 2000. Nowadays I go once or twice a year, mostly to chat and catch up with the news. I really admire Wendy.  She has many qualities that I envy, not least of which is her ability to spout latin names of plants with consummate ease.  She is a jack of all trades, being equally proficient in planning, planting and being diplomatic, (there are a lot of volunteers who come to help out at Spadina and I've always seen Wendy treat everyone equally).  She is able to juggle many different tasks and (despite the fact that there's only so many hours in the day and so much to get done) she never appears hurried or worried. 

I think Wendy is most at home in the garden. Her favorite tool is the garden fork and she refers to herself an "industrial gardener". That's because she has no time for fussing about. There are only 2 full time gardeners to look after 6 acres, and in order to get it all done you have to be fast... and not worry when it doesn't all get done.

I've learned a lot from hanging around Wendy and Spadina.

I learned how to prick out seedlings.
I learned to plant flats and flats of annuals quickly and efficiently.
I learned to appreciate all manner of plants that hithertoo I have been ignorant of.
I learned that not all gardening is fun. There are some really tedious tasks (such as weeding the gravel drive).
I learned you have to turn a blind eye to the antics of the "general public".

I also learned that despite being in love with gardening, I cannot do it for a living. It is incredibly difficult to work a 9 - 5 day when it's 30 degrees Celsius outside (and feels like 38 degrees with the humidity). Although I know how to plant massive amounts of the same flower/bulb efficiently, it's not the kind of effect I want in my garden. I can't lift heavy bags of -whatever- as I'm not strong enough. And, I'm not able to hold my tongue when the public allows their beloved children to swing and climb on the 200 year old tree, endangering its limbs.

Thank you Wendy. You have enriched my life beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment