Friday 14 October 2011

Be patient, it gets better

Looking at the pictures of those early plantings (which were done in August 2007) from my last posting, I wouldn't be surprised if you (the audience) weren't very impressed.

What were we thinking?  Looking back, I now see our efforts as heartfelt, but the results were a little pathetic. (I think David will probably admonish me for saying that).  Rest assured, it does get better, and to give you a taste of what's to come, I wanted to show you some pictures of that same area where the first picture was taken in my previous post (in which you can see the cabin) over the course of a year.

This photo was taken on September 13, 2010. As you can see the Sempervivum is no more. The spot with the bare earth is where we had started work on the 2010 bed in the Lake Lookout Garden. The firepit is behind the wheelbarrow, and the pile of brush is still there.

September 17, 2010. One week later. You can see we had been hard at work. Looks more like a garden doesn't it! Firepit is still there, but I worked really hard to get rid of the huge pile of brush.

August 22, 2011. One year later. We were busy extending the 2010 bed. I guess we could call it the 2011 bed! You can certainly see how the garden is beginning to develop here. David is taking a well-deserved rest surrounded by all the rocks he's dug out!
Finally, August 25, 2011. We had finished the 2011 bed. Not bad work for a fortnight's hard labour!
So, stick with me. It will be worth it I promise. In the future, I'll be showing more detailed photos of how we sweated to make these quite lovely (in my opinion) gardens a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment