Thursday 13 October 2011

Out of the ashes a phoenix may arise

I am saddened to note the demise of Harrowsmith Country Life Magazine.  Of all the magazines that grace the newstands, it is one I have subscribed to for many years now. Ironically, I had just renewed my subscription for 2 years at Christmas. Only one issue was published this year in March and I was just remarking to David that I hadn't received another in the mail yet.  In August the publisher announced it would cease publication just short of its 35th Anniversary.


Originally called Harrowsmith, it was founded in the small village of Camden East Ontario (which we often passed through en route to our lot) in 1976 as a back-to-the-land and environmental magazine.  In recent years its focus shifted and some complained that it seemed more for retiring boomers than serious back-to-the-landers, but I really enjoyed it none-the-less.

Where one magazine dies, another is born. Well it certainly felt that way (and I'm using a bit of poetic license here).  We are most fortunately to have one of the most outstanding gardening magazines published North America - Garden Making - come on the scene in the Spring of 2010.  While it is still in its infancy, it is nevertheless a mature and very professional publication, and that's not surprising, considering that Beckie Fox (the editor-in-chief) was also on the editorial team of Canadian Gardening. It is a garden magazine that is not just about pretty pictures, but is full of interesting and informative articles that are useful to the avid gardener.  It is published quarterly by Inspiring Media Inc. which is co-owned by Beckie and Michael Fox. This bodes well for its survival.



I have a subscription. I suggest if you love to garden you might like to support our Canadian Economy, and get one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment