Sunday 30 October 2011

What happens in between?

Considering that we only go up to the lot a few times a year, you may wonder what do I do for the other 11 months of the year?  Well, partly David and I go and visit other gardens for inspiration (and that's another blog post in itself), but when I'm at home in our little apartment, I look after my house plants.
I've given up counting them all, and I must admit they are worrisome when it's time for me to go to the lot and visit their brothers and sisters who live outside, but on the whole they don't ask for much and they give a lot in return.

Here are a few of the more unusual beauties:

This is a Walking Iris (Nerine). The flowers bloom for a day and are lightly scented.
It flowers in February, which is very welcome in that dour month.

Stapelia Variegata in bloom. This succulent attracts pollinators by giving off the scent of rotting meat.  Actually it doesn't really smell at all. Thank goodness!




Strawberry Guava fruit. They are tiny and smell like strawberries.
They have lots of little tiny seeds and not much flesh.
The plant has lovely peeling bark on the trunk.

Hibiscus are very common as houseplants. The flowers only last for a day.
In Bermuda they grow them outdoors and prune them as hedges.
This is a white hibiscus grown from a cutting. I love the red whorls in the centre.

3 comments:

  1. I neglected to say what I do when I go on vacation. I have a few umbrella green houses set up for the tiny things that need constant moisture and humidity (that's the Stretocarpus) and the rest are looked after by my best friend Liz. Thank you Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see some pictures of your Streptocarpus collection in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @The Mick. That's not so easy, as they all bloom at different time, but I'll try!

    ReplyDelete